The CSU has a significant impact on the state through the personal contributions of current students and alumni. The systemís students largely come from California and mostly remain in the state after graduation, using their increased skills and knowledge to help California flourish.
Where Do CSU Students Come From?
In Fall 2012:
96 percent of all
came from California.
87 percent of new
came from California
public high schools.
91 percent of new undergraduate transfers
came from the California Community Colleges.
Community Engagement in the CSU
As a public university system with diverse perspectives and unique strengths, the CSU partners with nearly 2,300 public agencies, nonprofits, businesses and other groups to make a difference—both domestically and internationally—through numerous community engagement activities, including service learning, community-based research, alternative break programs and student-led service clubs.
- During the 2011-12 academic year, more than 85,000 students had the opportunity to participate in 2,600 service-learning courses across the system. Of these, 7,848 students participated in 483 STEM service-learning courses.
- Grants and awards received by campuses and the Chancellorís Office for community engagement totaled $4.1 million, a return on investment of $4 for every dollar invested by the state for community engagement.
- Sixteen CSU campuses were named to the 2012 Presidentís Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, which recognizes higher education institutions for their commitment to and achievement in community service.
- Nearly half of the CSUís 437,000 students are engaged in some type of community service totaling 32 million hours of service annually, a total economic impact of $697 million.*
* Based on the accepted 2011 national volunteer rate of $21.79 per hour by the Independent Sector.
Together, the CSU and its partners are making an impact.
More information about the Center for Community Engagement »
The CSU has more than 2.8 million alumni and adds nearly 100,000 new graduates to its ranks each year. CSU alumni are leaders in the high-impact fields that drive Californiaís economy, including business, engineering, agriculture, hospitality and tourism, healthcare and entertainment. More of Californiaís teachers come from the CSU than all other institutions in California combined. CSU alumni have distinguished themselves in all areas of Californiaís workforce and culture. In fact, one in 10 employees in California is a CSU graduate.
More information about Alumni »