Reports from the Standing Committees
|This Month's Issue|
|Message from the ASCSU Chair|
|Report on the ASCSU 50th Anniversary|
|Reports from Standing Committees|
|An Update on the Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBA)|
|Report from the Faculty Trustee|
Academic Affairs Committee
Darlene Yee-Melichar (San Francisco), Chair
With much appreciation to members of and liaisons to the Academic Affairs Committee, we completed a full agenda on Wednesday, March 13, 2013. We heard informative updates from members of systemwide committees and task forces as well as helpful reports from the CO liaisons Ken O’Donnell, Ray Murillo, and Chris Mallon. We worked on the following items of business:
- Reviewed the Chancellor’s Office Responses to ASCSU Resolutions and noted Dr. Ron Vogel’s comments with appreciation.
- Reviewed the Board of Trustees’ Agenda for March 2013 and paid special attention to the items listed in the Committee on Educational Policy and Committee on Governmental Relations. Given the number of legislative bills pertaining to online learning and alternative pathways, several members of AA would like to collaborate with FGA on Legislative Lobby Day in Sacramento on Tuesday, April 9, 2013.
- Discussed the data and feasibility of reporting on where we are on the Access to Excellence strategic plan commitment/goal on reducing existing achievement gaps in the CSU. Members voted to defer action on this item for now.
- Discussed questions and/or updates regarding online education initiatives:
- Senator Kalayjian serves as AA observer to Cal State Online (CSO);
- Senator Yee-Melichar serves as AA liaison on the Joint Committee on Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCs);
- Senator Van Selst serve as AA liaison on Udacity at San Jose State University.
- Collaborated with FGA to revise AS-3113-13/AA/FGA, Request for a Task Force to Study CSU Student Tuition Fees and Financial Aid Support.
- Submitted several new resolutions in first reading; these include:
- Reaffirming the Importance of Graduate Programs and Access to Those Programs
- Support of Student Mental Health and Counseling Services
- Acknowledgement of Executive Order 1047, Extended Education and Self-Support Courses and Programs
- Clarifying the Changing Expectations for General Education