Center for Community Engagement
Search CCE

Frequently Asked Questions: General

General * Implementation Process * Risk Assessment *
Service-Learning Agreement
* Student Orientation * Learning Plan * Service Logs * Background Checks

Q: If my campus wanted to create a service learning risk management committee/working group who would you recommend be included?

A: Campuses should consider including a group of individuals with diverse perspectives and roles. This may include, faculty, representative from at least one learning site, service learning staff member, risk manager, service-learning student and a contracts and procurement officer. 

Q: Must a campus use the forms, questionnaires and documents that are provided in the resource guide?

A: The Resource Guide contains “recommended” forms, checklists and descriptions that can be used to help build new service-learning partnerships while improving upon existing partnerships with community based organizations (also referred to as “learning site” throughout the resource guide). The forms outline the standards for managing risk in service learning.

Q:  Won’t the guidelines provided in the resource guide be prohibitive to the service-learning experience?

A: The intent of the guidelines is not to prohibit service-learning experiences, but rather, to provide recommended practices that allow for safe and positive service environments where the risk and liability have been minimized for all parties.

Q:  Doesn’t SAFECLIP and/or SPLIP automatically cover all students and faculty engaged in service learning?

A: No. A student must be enrolled in a service-learning course for credit. Additionally, for the learning site to be considered a covered party a written agreement must be in place obligating the university to provide such coverage. 

Q:  Can a faculty member be individually named in a lawsuit involving a service-learning student or placement?

A: Yes, faculty members should be aware that they can be individually named in a lawsuit. They will be indemnified and protected by the university in the case of a lawsuit, so long as the faculty member was acting within the scope of his or her work.  They may be covered under the special insurance policy for student academic field experience (SAFECLIP) or for professional liability for specific students and programs such as nursing, social work, etc. (SPLIP).

Q: What about internships?

A: Many of the guidelines and standards related to service learning can be applied to internships. Please refer to EO 1064, which allows for campuses to develop their own policies and procedures related to internships.  

Return to Managing Risk in Service Learning

Content Contact:
Judy Botelho
(562) 951-4749
Technical Contact:

Last Updated: October 15, 2012