Resources for Counselors

Financial Aid

There is money available to help!

  1. How To Apply For Financial Aid
    *New* The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available each year between October 1 and March 2 to be considered for priority filing for the fall term. The FAFSA and other student aid information are available at the U.S. Department of Education's website. The FAFSA can also be accessed through Cal State Apply. Applying online is free, fast, secure, and reduces the common errors that might delay an application.

    DACA students and students without lawful immigration status who qualify for an AB540 nonresident tuition exemption, may apply for state and institutional funded financial aid by filing a California Dream Act application online. Students who apply for financial aid via the California Dream Application are subject to the March 2 priority filing deadline for California. The California Dream Application is also available beginning October 1. Students will need their 2015, and if applicable, their parents 2015 income and tax information for the FAFSA or the Dream Application.
  2. When To Apply - March 2 Is The Priority Deadline
    California high school seniors (or recent graduates) need to apply for a Cal Grant by making sure that a GPA Verification Form is submitted by March 2. Forms are available from your high school or any California college financial aid office.

    Filing before the priority date of March 2 gives students greater chances of receiving aid from all the programs that are available. Students should check with the campus to which they are interested in attending to get information about possible earlier priority deadlines and other procedures.
  3. How Is This Information Used?
    The information students (and their families) provide on the FAFSA or Dream Application is used to determine their eligibility for the various financial aid programs. Once the college has received their application, additional documents (such as tax returns) may be requested. Please respond to these requests for additional information promptly. This review is undertaken to ensure the accuracy of the information reported. Because students can apply for aid early in the year, they can estimate their income before a tax return is filed.
  4. What Types of Financial Aid are Available?
    There are four general categories of financial aid:
    • grants (free money!)
    • scholarships (free money!)
    • work study (part-time employment)
    • loans (must be repaid)
2016-2017 Commuting from Home Living in Campus Housing Living Away From Home/Off-Campus
State Tuition Fee* $5,472* $5,472 $5,472
Campus Fees 1,347 1,347 1,347
Books and Supplies 1,756 1,756 1,756
Meals and Housing 4,886** 13,094 12,967
Transportation 1,357** 1,124 1,372
Misc. Personal 1,412** 1,412 1,412
Total $16,230 $24,205 $24,326

* $5,472 is the amount undergraduates enrolled in more than 6 units pay; undergraduates in 6 or fewer units pay $3,174. Graduate and postbaccalaureate students enrolled in more than 6 units pay $6,738, and those in 6 units or fewer pay $3,906. Students enrolled in teaching credential programs for a Multiple Subject, Single Subject, or Special Education credential pay $6,348 if they are taking more than 6 units and $3,684 if they are taking 6 or fewer units. Fees are subject to change.

** The cost of meals, housing, and personal expenses for students who continue to live with parents or relatives are not expected to increase because of college attendance. Transportation expenses for commuting students will vary depending on the type of transportation used and the distance traveled.