Resources for Counselors

Transfer Admission Requirements

More Information

Visit the Student Transfer website for more information.

The California State University considers an undergraduate transfer student as one who has completed coursework at any community college, college, or university in the first regular term following high school graduation. Students who complete college units before high school graduation or during the summer between high school graduation and the first regular term are considered first-time freshmen and must meet first-time freshmen admission requirements.

The number of college units completed before applying to any CSU determines the admission standards that will be used to determine eligibility. It is highly recommended that students who begin their pursuit of the baccalaureate degree at the community college complete 60 Semester (90 quarter-units) of transferable coursework including as many of the general (GE) and lower-division major preparation coursework requirements as possible prior to transfer. Students should complete as many of the general education (GE) and lower-division major preparation coursework requirements as possible prior to transfer. Some CSU majors have specified courses required for admission to the program. For information on those admission requirements consult your Community College Transfer counselor, or the CSU campus websites.

Transfer Eligibility Requirements

Please visit the CSU Student Transfer website for upper- and lower-division transfer minimum eligibility requirements.

How Can Transfer Students Be Sure They Are Prepared To Transfer

Transfer students are advised to work closely with their community college transfer counselors to be sure they will meet the CSU transfer admission standards.

When Should Transfer Students Submit Their Transcripts?

At the same time as students apply for admission, official transcripts should be sent directly from all colleges and universities previously attended, even if no coursework was completed. Transcripts should be sent electronically or sent in sealed envelopes directly from each institution attended. Transcripts that have "work-in-progress," another "official transcript" should be sent as soon as the current term is complete and by the campuses transcript deadline dates.

For those students transferring to programs that accept lower-division transfer students, official high school transcripts and official test scores should be sent within a few days after applying for admission.

Do Transfer Students Have to Take Placement Tests in English and Math?

Prior to transferring to the CSU, upper-division transfer students must complete the four general education basic skills courses which includes English and college-level mathematics with grades of "C" or better.

Lower-division transfer students will be required to take the English Placement Test (EPT) and the Entry Level Mathematics Test (ELM) if they are not exempt based on their SAT or ACT scores or AP credit if they have not completed an appropriate general education basic skills English composition and college-level mathematics course with grades of "C" or better.

What Happens When Transfer Students Do Not Complete the Admission Requirements?

A few CSU campuses admit transfer students based on courses "in progress," and others do not. All transfer applicants, however, are required to submit final college transcripts prior to enrollment in CSU classes to verify their successful completion of all admission requirements. If they did not complete the courses needed for admission, the CSU campus to which they applied may delay or cancel their admission.

Admission Impaction

Several CSU campuses are receiving more applications during the initial filing period than can be accommodated; these campuses are designated impacted and may impose supplemental admission criteria for transfer admission in addition to what is stated here. Several campuses also have programs or majors that are impacted, which require them to impose more selective admission criteria in determining student eligibility. Students should check with each campus of choice to determine if supplemental admission criteria will be used. Find out more about impaction »

Transfer Pathways to The CSU

The California Community Colleges (CCC) Associate in Art for Transfer (AA-T) Or Associate in Science For Transfer (AS-T) Degrees
Students that earn an AA-T or AS-T degree from a California Community College are guaranteed priority admission to the California State University with junior status. However, the priority admission consideration does not extend to a particular campus or program. To qualify, the student must be conferred with an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) conferred by a California Community College. The student must apply for admission to a California State University campus for an open term and submit all requested transcripts and documents by the campuses published deadlines. The student must also meet all of the CSU admission eligibility requirements for the program to which they have applied, and must comply with any other prescribed admission requirements. For more information on the AA-T or AS-T degrees students are encouraged to work with their community college transfer advisor. Additional information is available on the A Degree With a Guarantee website.

CCC and CSU Partnerships In STEM Education Majors
There are a number of CSU campuses that have developed transfer pathways with their local community colleges for students that are pursuing a degree in the Sciences, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) majors. Students completing these Transfer pathways are often provided an admission advantage at the participating CSU. Check with your California Community College transfer counselor or the admissions representative at the CSU to which you intend to apply, to see if this option is available.