The campuses of the CSU are regularly recognized for the extraordinary work they’re doing in sustainability.
The eleventh annual Higher Education Energy Efficiency and Sustainability Best Practice Awards competition is made possible by the Higher Education Energy Efficiency Partnership, this competition is meant to:
- Highlight the achievements that California campuses have made through innovative and effective energy efficiency projects and sustainable operations.
- Showcase specific projects as models to be used by other campuses to achieve energy efficiency and sustainability goals.
- Provide campus staff with a compendium of Best Practice projects that could be transferable to their campus.
2016 CSU Facilities Management Conference Best Practice Awards
Each of the Best Practice Award Winners at the 2016 Facilities Management Conference integrated sustainability into the design and execution of their project in addition to achieving exemplary performance in their award category.
Best Practice in Sustainability: CSU Sacramento - The Closed Loop: A Comprehensive Organic Waste Diversion Program
CSU Sacramento and its Closed Loop program is a comprehensive and cost-saving organic waste diversion program that turns leaves, lawn clippings and wood chips into a clean fuel—a bio-compressed natural gas that powers a fleet of complimentary campus shuttles.
The goals of this project were to decrease Sacramento State's dependence on fossil fuels, also reducing the amount of lawn waste sent to the landfill and helping close the loop on campus consumption.
Recent Sustainability Awards
Other sustainability awards recently given to California State University campuses include:
2016 Energy Efficiency and Sustainability Best Practice Awards Competition
The 12th annual Higher Education Energy Efficiency and Sustainability Best Practice Awards competition is made possible by the Higher Education Energy Efficiency Partnership. This competition is meant to:
- highlight the achievements that California campuses have made through innovative and effective energy efficiency projects and sustainable operations
- showcase specific projects as models to be used by other campuses to achieve energy efficiency and sustainability goals
- provide campus staff with a compendium of Best Practice projects that could be transferable to their campus
These winners were recognized during the California Higher Education Sustainability Conference held at California State University, Fullerton from June 26 to June 30, 2016:
- Energy Efficiency in Existing Buildings: HVAC Design/Retrofit and Commissioning
- Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Cal Poly SLO Variable Chilled Water Pumping and Plant Optimization
- Energy Efficiency in Existing Buildings: Lighting Design/Retrofit
- CSU Fullerton, CSUF Campus wide LED Lighting Retrofit
- Energy Efficiency in New Construction or Major Renovation
- CSU East Bay, CSU East Bay Student and Faculty Support
- Innovative Waste Reduction
- CSU Sacramento, The Closed Loop: Sacramento State Food Waste Diversion and Green Transportation
- Student Sustainability Leadership
- CSU Northridge, Sustainable Office Program
- Sustainable Food Systems
- CSU Sacramento, A Multi-trophic Food Production System Integrating Aquaponics with Bio-Waste Recycling
- Honorable Mention: CSU Northridge, Radioactive Seafood Market
- Sustainable Transportation
- CSU Fullerton, CSUF Battery Storage and EV Charging System
- Sustainability in Academics: Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- CSU San Marcos, Sustainability Experienced Through Interactive Design
- Sustainability in Academics: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
- CSU East Bay, Social Impact Through Sustainable Solar Design
- Sustainability Innovations
- CSU Chico, South Campus Neighborhood Project
- Water Efficiency/Site Water Quality
- CSU Stanislaus, Cooling Tower Reclaimed Water Project
- Honorable Mention: CSU Fullerton, Drought Response
CSU Northridge: 2016 AASCU Excellence and Innovation in Sustainability and Sustainable Development Award
San Diego State: Associated Students of SDSU: 2016 San Diego EarthWorks E.A.R.T.H. Award
San Diego State Dining: 2016 EMIES, Unwasted Food Award
San José State: 2016 WaterReuse California Recycled Water Customer of the Year Award
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo: 2015 Arbor Day Foundation - Tree Campus USA Award
San Diego State: Arts and Letters Building: 2015 LEED New Construction Project of the Year Award
San Diego State: Aztec Recreation Center: 2015 LEED Existing Buildings Operations and Maintenance Gold Certification Project of the Year Award
San Diego State: Aztec Student Union: 2015 LEED New Construction Project of the Year Award