The California State University (CSU), through collaborative efforts, provides a full range of services that support foster youth from their transition out of foster care or transfer from a community college to the CSU and through graduation. Learn more about the programs, financial aid, housing, support services and resources the CSU provides to emancipated youth and former and current foster youth.
How You Can Help
- Identify foster youth at your school and advocate for stable, high-quality educational placements to keep school transfers to a minimum.
- Connect with the Foster Youth Services (FYS) liaison in your school district or the Foster Youth Success Initiative liaison on community college campuses.
- Stress rigorous academic preparation to complete the A-G requirements and get them on the college track early.
- Help foster youth prepare for standardized tests.
- Prepare and encourage your students to pursue higher education and track their progress closely.
- Support foster youth in choosing, applying for and enrolling in college.
- Ensure students apply for adequate financial aid including scholarships.
- Refer students to information and programs (e.g. financial aid, EOP, advising program, career center).
College is For You
Educational Planning Guide for Foster Youth
CSU Foster Youth Programs