The CDIP offers loans up to $10,000 per year over 5 years, with a maximum amount of $30,000. The loans are:
- Repayable over a 15-year period commencing one year after completion of, or withdrawal from, full-time doctoral study;
- Forgivable at the rate of 20 percent for each year of full-time postdoctoral teaching employment in the CSU or 10 percent for each year of part-time postdoctoral teaching employment in the CSU.
Details about the loan program can be found at Loan Details.
The CDIP also ensures the success of the doctoral students by combining the loan program with a mentorship component. Through collaborative teaching, research, and/or service activities faculty mentors will:
- support the CDIP Scholars’ successful completion of their doctoral studies;
- enhance the CDIP Scholars’ potential for employment in a tenure-track faculty position.
Information about CDIP Faculty Mentor’s role can be found at Faculty Mentor.
Other Provisions of the Program
- Receipt of a loan through this program and completion of the doctorate does not in any way guarantee employment as a faculty member at a CSU campus nor does it obligate the recipient to accept such employment, if applied for and offered.
- Individual CSU academic departments may have faculty recruitment and appointment requirements in addition to an earned doctorate (e.g., possession of a teaching credential; a Ph.D. instead of an Ed.D.; a doctorate in a specific subdiscipline; etc.). It is the applicant's responsibility to be aware of such requirements.
- Funds for the CDIP are contingent on the California State University Board of Trustees' approval each year of the Lottery Revenue Budget, which funds the program.