Chancellor's Office Human Resource Services
Why Work for Us?

Work Environment
Labor Agreements

External Candidate
Internal Candidate
CO HR Services Home


Catastrophic Leave

Employees are eligible to receive catastrophic leave donations due to their own catastrophic illness or injury or that of an immediate family member.

Immediate family member includes:

  • The employee's spouse or domestic partner;
  • The employee's, spouse's or domestic partner's father, mother, sister, brother, grandparent, great-grandparent, child (including foster, adopted and step child), grandchild;
  • The employee's son-in-law, daugther-in-law; and
  • A relative of the employee, spouse or domestic partner who is living in the immediate household of the employee.

To Receive Catastrophic Leave Credits

  • Fill out a Catastrophic Leave Request Form (.doc).
  • Have HR Services approve the request form.
  • You must have exhausted all accrued leave credits (sick leave, vacation, compensatory time off, etc.) due to a catastrophic illness or injury that has incapacitated you from work.
  • A doctor's note must accompany the request form and indicate any special circumstances that cause the illness or injury to be catastrophic. (Not all illnesses or injuries that disable an employee from working qualify as catastrophic.)
  • The total donated leave credits you may receive cannot exceed three calendar months from the first day of catastrophic leave.
  • In exceptional cases, an additional three calendar month period may be approved.
To Donate Catastrophic Leave Credits
  • Complete the applicable Catastrophic Leave Donation form and return to Payroll Services:
  • You may donate up to 40 hours of your accrued vacation or sick leave credits per fiscal year.
  • Donated leave credits may not necessarily be deducted in the same calendar or fiscal year that the form is signed.
  • Leave credits are transferred in the order pledged on the Catastrophic Donation Form and are not deemed donated until transferred by Payroll to the recipient.

Policy Statements

Note: Where there is a conflict with the collective bargaining agreement and the above summary, the collective bargaining agreement prevails.

Content Contact:
Human Resource Services
(562) 951-4070
Request content in an alternate format.
Technical Contact:
Tell us about a Web Accessibility problem.
Last Updated: May 09, 2016