- Full-time employees accrue eight hours of sick leave per month.
- Part-time employees earn sick leave on a pro rata basis.
- Employees must receive 11 days of pay in a pay period to accrue sick leave credits for that month.
- Sick leave credits may not be used prior to their accrual, which occurs on the first day of the following pay period.
- There is no maximum accrual for sick leave.
- Unused sick leave may be converted into service credit at retirement in accordance with CalPERS guidelines.
- Employee is responsible for reporting absences to the appropriate administrator as soon as possible in compliance with department policies.
- An employee may be required to provide a physician's statement or other appropriate verification when absent five (5) or more consecutive days due to illness/injury.
- Use of sick leave may be authorized by the supervisor for the following absences:
- Employee's own illness, injury or disability related to pregnancy.
- Employee's own dental, eye or other physical or medical examination/treatments by a licensed practitioner.
- Illness or injury in the immediate family (the employee's, spouse's, domestic partner's: father, mother, sister, brother, grandparent, great-grandparent, child (including foster, adopted and step children), grandchild, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, and a relative who is living in the immediate household of the employee):
- Primarily for emergency situations.
- CSUEU represented employees are limited to ten days per calendar year, which may be extended an additional five days if approved by the supervisor.
- SETC represented employees are limited to seven days per calendar year. Additional usage may be approved by the supervisor.
- Bereavement in the case of death of a person in the immediate family (when bereavement leave is exhausted).
- CSUEU represented employees may request in writing, subject to supervisory approval, to extend their bereavement leave by using accrued sick leave.
- SETC employees, upon reasonable advance request to their supervisor, may be granted up to forty (40) hours of accrued sick leave for each death.
- Non-represented employees may use up to five days of sick leave to extend their bereavement leave for each death of a person related by blood, adoption, or marriage, or any person residing in the employee’s household.
Extension of Sick Leave
The supervisor may authorize unpaid sick leave, and/or the use of vacation,
personal holiday or CTO for an employee who has exhausted accumulated sick leave.
- All Employees
- Non-Represented Employees
- CSUEU Represented Employees(Units 7 and 9)
- SETC Represented Employees (Unit 6)
Note: Where there is a conflict with the collective bargaining agreement and the above summary, the collective bargaining agreement prevails.