|Section 1000 Policies|
Policy Number: 1206.00
Policy Title: Inventory Control of Athletic Equipment, Apparel and Gear
Policy Effective Date: July, 1, 2012
Last Revision Date: July, 1, 2012
(see revision history)
It is the policy of the California State University (CSU) to set forth requirements for campuses to implement methodologies for the recording and safeguarding of athletic equipment, apparel and gear.
The campus should establish a documented process for the recording, tracking, and disposal of athletic equipment, apparel and gear that includes the following:
100 Acquisition of property
- All property should be ordered according to the delegated procurement authority and established procurement policies and procedures at each campus.
- Exclusive provider/endorsement contracts may be negotiated by the appropriate Vice President or Athletic Director, or their designee, and must comply with campus Procurement and Athletic Departments’ policies and procedures.
- Promotional allotments of goods may be received from vendors. Even though no cost is incurred, this property must be treated as state property and entered into the athletic property inventory database or tracking system.
All incoming shipments for goods should be delivered to the campus central receiving department. Receiving department personnel should enter receipt of goods into the campus ERP system, and deliver goods to the Athletic Department. Athletics equipment room staff should unpack packages, count and verify contents, tag as required and record data in an inventory database. Property should be stored in secured area (s).
Gear, apparel, and equipment should be distributed in accordance with established Athletic Department policies and procedures with appropriate annotation in the inventory database.
400 Surplus Disposition
- Property which is past its useful life or is no longer needed should be considered surplus property and disposed of following existing campus procedures for the disposition of property.
- Outgoing Promotional Property – requests to provide athletic gear and apparel to donors, alumni, charitable organizations, etc., shall be submitted via written request by the requesting entity to the respective head coach or other administrator with programmatic authority. Approved requests should be forwarded to appropriate Athletic Department personnel for fulfillment.
- Donations – follow existing campus procedures for donations of property.
500 Physical Inventory
A physical inventory must be performed at least once annually.
Benjamin F. Quillian
Executive Vice-Chancellor/Chief Financial Officer
Approved: April 26, 2012
APPLICABILITY AND AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
RESOURCES AND REFERENCE MATERIALS
Sound Business Practices:
Use of an electronic inventory database which utilizes a bar-coding function is recommended to track state property.
Laws, State Codes, Regulations and Mandates:
- Government Code Sections 13402, 13403 and 8314
- ICSUAM 3151.04
- NCAA Operating Bylaw 16.11
- CSU Procurement Policy Manual
COGNIZANT OFFICE(S)CO Manager:
Mr. Tom Roberts
Director, Contract Services and Procurement
CSU Office of the Chancellor
Financial Officers Association