- Enrollment at a CSU campus no later than spring term prior to departure or eligibility to enter from a California community college by fall term of the program start date.
- A cumulative GPA for all higher education work of 3.00.
- Upper-division or graduate standing by the end of spring term prior to departure.
- Completion of at least two years of college-level Spanish with a "B" average. Additional upper-division coursework in Spanish is highly desirable.
- Completion of at least two courses with Latin American focus (art, culture, cultural anthropology, geography, history, literature, religion, or social sciences) or one course with Latin American focus and one upper-division Spanish language course (composition highly recommended).