- Enrollment at a CSU campus not later than spring term prior to departure or eligibility to enter from a California community college by fall term of the program start date.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.75 for all higher education work by the application deadline. Students with a GPA below the stipulated level will be considered when special circumstances exist.
- The Learn Spanish & Culture Program and The Study in English Program: Sophomore or higher standing by the end of spring term prior to departure. Successful completion of at least one college-level course in Spanish language by the end of spring term prior to departure.
- The Advanced Program and La Meta Program: Upper-division or graduate standing by the end of spring term prior to departure. Completion of all lower-division coursework in the major. Completion of two years of college-level Spanish (through intermediate Spanish) or equivalent by the end of spring term prior to departure.
- Participants must attend the Querétaro campus during the first semester. During the second semester, students may request placement at another Tec campus. The only approved campuses are: Mexico City, State of Mexico, Cuernavaca, Guadalajara, Mazatlán, and Monterrey. A change of campus is allowed solely for academic reasons and must be approved by OIP.