Educational Opportunity Program

Financial Assistance

If you are applying for financial aid, you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This form is used to determine the expected family contribution (EFC) and allows the campus financial aid office to determine financial aid eligibility and consider the student for an EOP grant for up to $2,000 per year. However, due to limited campus program funding, the average award per student is $900. You must file the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1, and before the California financial aid priority filing date of March 2. EOP grants will be awarded only as long as funds are available. You will have a better chance of receiving an EOP grant and other financial aid for which you are eligible if you apply as soon as possible.

The FAFSA is also available on the Web at CSUMentor and from high school counselors and college financial aid offices. If you are going to apply online, you (and your parents) should apply for a PIN, used to identify you and track your records throughout the financial aid application process.

After your FAFSA is processed, you will be provided with a Student Aid Report (SAR). You should review the SAR carefully in the event it is necessary to correct any information.

Application for financial aid is a separate process from the EOP admission process. See EOP Information and Application Booklet for more information about materials required for your financial aid application. For additional information about financial aid, please review CSU Mentor Financial Aid.

Cal Grant

To receive priority consideration for financial aid, you must file the FAFSA according to the instructions prior to March 2, 2012. March 2 is also the deadline for applying for a Cal Grant (money for college that does not need to be paid back). Filing a FAFSA and submitting a verified grade point average (GPA) to the California Student Aid Commission by March 2 will enable you to be considered for a Cal Grant. See your counselor to find out how to submit your GPA. The campus Financial Aid Office may request other documents from you or your parents, and you should submit those documents as soon as possible.