Troops to College
Visit the Troops to College website for more information.
Veterans Affairs Document Library
In March 2006, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger charged the California Community Colleges (CCC), California State University (CSU), University of California (UC) and the Departments of Veterans Affairs and Labor and Workforce Development to expand educational opportunities for active duty service members and veterans. The vision was for California to become the nation’s leader in providing educational opportunities for service members and veterans. To this end, the three higher education segments agreed to expand outreach programs, academic and financial aid advising, on-base classes and admission opportunities.
At the same time that statewide initiatives were developing, the CSU Chancellor’s Office Student Academic Support department was operationalizing internal processes to make the CSU a friendlier place for active duty service members and veterans; the goal was to make the CSU their first choice and to create a welcoming and comfortable environment for current students. The CSU’s parallel efforts led to the development of models that informed the statewide initiative.
The timeline and supporting documentation below covers a time span from March 2006 to the present, which is the period of time when the CSU developed most of its campus veteran affairs programs.
March 2006 to Present
- Troops to College: CSU and Statewide Parallel Efforts Chart (.pdf)
- CSU Veterans Affairs Efforts Timeline (.pdf)
- CSU Update on Troops to College Veterans Affairs Efforts – April 29, 2008 (.pdf)
- CSU Survey of Campus Veterans’ Program Activities (.pdf)
- CSU Inventory of Campus Veterans’ Enrollments and Program Activities (.pdf)
- Troops to College Task Force Summary Report: June 1, 2006 - December 31, 2007 (.pdf)
- Department of Veterans Affairs Post 9/11 GI Bill: Proposed Rule (.pdf)
- CSU Troops to College Admission Program (.pdf)
- Veterans Affairs Campus Review and Assessment – 2009 (.pdf)
- CSU Guidelines on Post 9/11 GI Bill (.pdf)
- CSU Student Veteran Research Project – Spring 2011 (.pdf)
- Memo to CSU Presidents on Academic Support for Military Students – October 10, 2011 (.pdf)
- Troops to College Update for Governor’s Staff (.pdf)
- Position Description for Special Consultant to the Chancellor for Veterans (.pdf)
- CSU Review and Recommendations of President Obama’s Principles of Excellence (.pdf)
- CSU Survey: Troops to College Admitted v. Enrolled Students 2009-2012 (.pdf)
- CSU Systemwide Survey of Campus Veteran Centers – October 2012 (.pdf)